Mursley Football Club
News and match reports

Saturday 29th October 2016

Mursley United entertained table-topping Enfield Borough and were defeated 3-1.

The visitors put the hosts under a lot of pressure in the first period, but stout defending kept Enfield at bay. Into the second half, the visitors continued to play good football and Mursley were finally undone when they conceded a penalty after an hour which skipper Hatch dispatched. Ten minutes later, Hatch doubled the score as Mursley failed to clear from a corner. Danny Simpson, on as a substitute, reduced the arrears with ten minutes remaining, as he got away from the defence and slid the ball past the on-rushing keeper. The away side secured all three points when Nwabuokei started a mazy run beating three players and then tucked the ball away past Sam Jay and into the far corner.

Saturday 24th September 2016

Mursley United visited a strong St Neots Town Reserves side and were 2-0 victors.

Manager Simon Jay brought in Charlie Fisher to replace missing skipper Paul Hollingsworth and the captain’s armband was given to Steve Mooney. The hosts played with a strong wind at their back in the first half and played several long balls in the early stages which were easily dealt with by the Mursley defence. The visitors took the lead on six minutes; good work between Anthony Lands, Charlie Fisher and Nathan Skelton saw Lands in space in the area. He looked like he was fouled as he pulled his leg back to shoot and the ball bounced up, hitting a defender’s arm and running away to safety. The assistant flagged and, after a brief consultation, the referee awarded a penalty for the handball. Skelton stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way. St Neots had more of the possession through the remainder of the half and looked dangerous from set pieces, but the Mursley defence, particularly Enzo Carillo, were on hand to snuff out the danger. On one occasion, late in the half, the hosts found themselves with a chance from eighteen yards, but Sam Jay was able to turn the ball over the bar.

The introduction of a new attacking midfielder at the break caused Mursley some problems, but his colleagues were unable to capitalise on the good possession he created and Steve Mooney worked hard to break up attacks in the middle of the field. Twenty minutes after the break, the visitors doubled their lead when Lands, Josh Ilunga and Carillo created an opening and the latter stabbed his effort home with the help of a deflection. With twenty minutes remaining, Ilunga worked himself space and looked to slide the ball past the on-rushing keeper. The ball came back to him off the latter’s legs and his second effort skewed wide of the post. Although the home side continued to throw the ball forward, the Mursley back-four were equal to their task and were able to close out eight minutes of additional time with a clean sheet.

Saturday 16th April 2016

Following an excellent week of results, Mursley United travelled the short distance to Stony Stratford Town and were defeated 3-0. On a heavy pitch, the hosts started brightly, but Mursley were able to repel their pressure and both Rory Busby and Paul Hollingsworth looked lively on the flanks. However, it wasn’t until the second period when the visitors found themselves struggling to resist the pace of the home forwards and Stony took the lead as Oakes stroked home a loose ball following a corner. As the game entered injury time, the pacy Mullins got away from the Mursley defence and rounded Sam Jay to score and with seconds remaining, Sibley picked up a long clearance and worked his way into the area where he finished neatly to secure the victory.

Tuesday 12th April 2016

Mursley United were at home to Totternhoe and, again, came from behind to secure a 2-1 victory. The hosts had their chances in the first half and Rory Best thought that his shot had bounced down from the cross bar and crossed the line, but neither the referee or linesman were able to confirm. The visitors went ahead with a goal that had a suspicion of handball about it, but nevertheless stood. Ten minutes after half time, under pressure from the Mursley forwards, the goalkeeper missed a return pass leaving Best to walk the ball into the net. Ten minutes later, Mursley went ahead after Nathan Skelton was pushed in the penalty area and substitute Jamie Cox stepped up to dispatch the penalty. Totternhoe put the hosts under a lot of pressure, but the defence held firm to secure the three points.

Saturday 9th April 2016

Mursley United played host to AFC Hillgate and triumphed 2-1. Despite going behind in the first half, Mursley battled hard and were rewarded with two goals from Nathan Skelton, the winner being a well-struck shot from long range.

Saturday 2nd April 2016

On Saturday, Mursley United travelled to Aston Clinton, having confidently beaten Aston Clinton 3-1 the previous weekend in the reverse fixture. Mursley were missing influential players Ed Wheatley, James Wardell, Tom Thornton, Sam Jay and Danny Clarke for the trip which allowed other squad players the chance to step up.

The visitors started slowly, sitting deep and allowing Aston Clinton to push on with constant long balls over the top. However, Steve Mooney and stand-in goalkeeper Khrys Kwapinski were able to mop up consistently. Eight minutes in and Mursley brought themselves back into the game, keeping the ball on the floor and playing good football and were rewarded with a corner. Well taken by Jordan Mcdougall, the ball floated to the back post and Mooney rose above everyone and headed the ball into the  bottom corner. They continued to press hard and constantly put Aston Clinton under pressure. After a quarter of an hour, Mursley won another a corner; this time McDougall drove the ball into the near post, where captain, Paul Hollingsworth managed to head the ball in to the back of the net to double the visitors’ lead.T he hosts now adopted a trend of hitting  long balls hoping their centre forward would latch onto one. Until the thirty fifth minute, the Mursley defence dealt with the oncoming direct play, but were, themselves, unable to mount a challenge on the counter-attack, persistently losing the ball with mis-placed passes.  Just before half-time, the hosts managed to pull a goal back.

The second period was a constant rush to get the ball in behind the Mursley defence. On the hour Aston Clinton managed to get a n equaliser after the ball was delivered to the striker, who appeared offside, was tucked past Kwapinski. Mursley, trying to get back into the game started playing the direct ball up to the forwards, Rory Busby latched onto a long pass, and despite being surrounded by three home players, managed to take the ball past them and surge into the box, Brought down with a strong challenge from the defender, an appeal for a penalty was ignored by the referee. With two minutes remaining, the hosts broke down the left wing and managed to tuck a great shot past Kwapinski for the winner.

Daniel Wade Assistant manager said "We missed a lot of players all over the park today but we can’t use that as an excuse for a performance that lacked the expected quality that we have come accustomed to over the past few months. We welcome AFC Hillgate next to Mursley Playing Field next week and we will get ourselves picked up, dusted off and ready to put in a much stronger showing."

Saturday 27th February 2016

Mursley United Reserves played host to Risborough Rangers Reserves and the sides played out an entertaining 2-2 draw.

On another windy day at Mursley, the first half saw chances for both sides. From a corner after ten minutes, Adam Moore headed against the bar and, Nathan Skelton, following up, did the same before the visitors hooked the ball to safety. At the other end,Sam Jay saved well with his feet from an on-rushing striker. Goalless at the break, Risborough broke the deadlock after three minutes of the second half as Stone broke down the right, cut inside, and struck a low drive past Jay and into the net. Ten minutes later, they doubled their advantage as Clark dispatched a penalty after a foul in the area. Mursley began to apply pressure and Adam Moore was able to pull a goal back and then the hosts went searching for the equaliser, which duly came with a quarter of an hour remaining, as substitute, Tom Woodwards, was left one-on-one with the keeper and his effort, which the keeper got a hand to, crept over the line.

Saturday 20th February 2016

Mursley United FC 1 v 1 Wolverton Town FC

After two good wins over 61FC and second placed Loughton Manor, the squad went in to this game with a growing confidence and to say that this was a game of two halves was an understatement, a storm force wind was blowing almost straight down the pitch and losing the toss, Mursley found themselves with the elements in the first half.

Mursley pressed for the first 10 minutes and, with Wolverton defending deep with the wind against them, it was difficult to create any real chances even though the majority of possession was with the home team. On Wolverton’s first foray into the Mursley penalty area a spot kick was awarded for a rather soft tackle, Sam Jay in the Mursley goal produced a fine save to deny Wolverton but Ben Dickens the lively Wolverton striker was quickest to react and he slotted the ball in from an acute angle to make it 0 – 1 to Wolverton. Earlier in the season, the Mursley would have let their heads drop, but, not now and they continued to press to find the equaliser which duly came in the twentieth minute when an Andy Gray free kick was met perfectly by Nathan Skelton and he headed past the stranded Wolverton keeper to make it 1 – 1 giving Skelton his seventh goal in his last six games. Further chances were created for Jarred Spink and Adam Moore among others but Mursley couldn’t find the net and the half ended level.

The second half saw Wolverton with the wind at their backs and they used it to their advantage, applying a huge amount of pressure to the Mursley goal, but, at last, Mursley have got some solidity in their defence and both Steve Mooney and Jamie Greenhalgh remained resolute and with Jay in goal mopping up anything that did get though they restricted Wolverton to a few chances. Jay produced a fine stop to partially one chance and when it looked like Wolverton would then bury the loose ball, Jake Reynolds was on hand to clear the ball of the line. The final fifteen minutes saw Mursley apply more pressure, captain Paul Hollingsworth saw a curled effort sneak just wide and Skelton thought he’d scored his second only to see a good low save deny him and in the end the game ended level.

Manager Simon Jay said after the game "That gives us two wins and a draw through February, the squad has real belief now in their collective ability and everyone is looking forwards to the remaining games of the season. This was a hard won point in tough conditions, everyone gave their all and even though we went 1 – 0 down we didn’t let our heads drop as we have done in earlier games."

Man of the match went to Sam Jay in goal, some vital saves and excellent keeping under pressure helped his defence out, next week sees Mursley with a week off. The following week, they welcome Grendon Rangers.

Saturday 13th February 2016

Mursley United made it back-to-back home wins with a 3-2 victory over Loughton Manor. Nathan Skelton with a brace and Adam Moore scored for the hosts.

Mursley United Reserves travelled to Tring Corinthians and were defeated 5-1. Tom Kennard netted Mursley’s goal.

Saturday 6th February 2016

Mursley United entertained 61 FC on Saturday and defeated them 1-0 with Jarred Spink scoring the Mursley goal.

Mursley United Reserves travelled to Luton to take on 61 FC Reserves and secured a 2-1 victory.

A game dominated by the wind saw the hosts go ahead through a penalty after twenty minutes after Alex Wolfe, pressed into action in the Mursley goal, brought down an on-rushing striker. The visitors levelled just before the break as Mitchell Young’s effort looped over the keeper and came back off the bar and Tom Kennard was on hand to tap in.

The second half followed a similar pattern as the wind continued to affect the game and it was Kennard challenging with the keeper and defender to head back across goal from an Abrams cross and to allow substitute Tom Woodwards to roll the ball into an empty net with two minutes remaining.

Saturday 30th January 2016

With the first team game at AFC Hillgate postponed, Mursley United Reserves were left to represent the club at home to New Bradwell St Peter’s Reserves and they came away with a hard-fought 2-1 victory.

The wind dominated throughout and it was the hosts who created more chances, but efforts from James Wardell and Adam Moore were wide of the mark. However, it was Ajigbolamu who put the visitors ahead after twenty minutes as he picked up a loose pass and bore down on goal to slide past Dean Trowbridge and into the net. Mursley levelled two minutes before the break as good build-up work from Wardell and Joel Oakley left Moore to tuck the ball neatly into the bottom corner.

The second half found both sides pressing but both struggled to create clear chances, although substitute Mitchell Young shot across the face of the New Bradwell goal. With twenty five minutes to go, the hosts were awarded a penalty as Moore laid a ball to Wardell who went down under the defender's challenge. Young sent the keeper the wrong way to put Mursley ahead and they maintained this lead to the final whistle.

Saturday 13th January 2016

The two bottom clubs in Division Two of the Spartan South Midlands League, Mursley United and Clean Slate, met at The Playing Field in a game that ended 3-4 to the visitors.

The game was fairly even and with twenty minutes remaining, goals from Nathan Skelton (2) and Jarred Spink for the hosts had been cancelled out by Ikiumoton and two from Waite for the visitors. It was substitute, Lever, who scored the winner for Clean Slate and ensured that they took maximum points.

Mursley United Reserves travelled to High Wycombe to take on Sunters Wood in the Berks and Bucks Junior Cup and were defeated 3-1.

Mursley had their chances in a frenetic first half, but went two goals down both from counter-attacks. Into the second period, the visitors had the majority of possession and with twenty minutes left, pulled a goal back as James Wardell’s long range effort came back off the bar and Joel Oakley stopped to head home the rebound with the goalkeeper stranded. They continued to press in search of an equaliser, but were unfortunate as a Tom Woodwards’ clearance cannoned off an on-rushing attacker and the latter beat the Mursley keeper to the loose ball and tucked it home to take the hosts into the next round.

Saturday 12th December 2015

Mursley United moved off the bottom of Spartan South Midland Division 2 with a 2-0 victory away at Amersham Town

After last week’s poor performance and loss to Grendon it was important that the team bounce back and finish the year on a high, but away to Amersham with again a host of unavailability’s, this was going to be a tough ask.

With Christmas Parties denying the squad of at least four players and with the Reserves also struggling to put out and 11 a bare minimum squad travelled to Amersham, picking up Adam Moore along the way who frankly was probably still flammable from his Christmas party the night before giving us a reduced squad of 13 including two Under 16 players. However those present were certainly in the right frame of mind and very much up for the game, determined to put the weak performance of last week behind them. From the off Mursley looked lively and within the 1st few minutes Nathan Skelton created himself a good chance but hit his effort wide, Charlie Fisher playing only his second game of the season then worked his way through on goal and with only the keeper to beat he rustily hit it straight at him when either side would have seen him score. Amersham, a bit shell shocked from the way Mursley started then started to grow in to the game and they pressed for a good 20 minute spell, creating attacking plays and winning corners, but with Adam Moore and Tom Thornton at centre back dealing with the lively forward and young Josh Illunga and the more experienced Jordan McDougall kept the tricky and pacey Amersham wide men at bay, what was delivered in to the box was well dealt with by Sam Jay in goal.

It took until the 30th minute for the first goal, a Jordan McDougall free kick was wickedly delivered in to the box and Nathan Skelton not to be denied this time back headed the ball past the stranded Amersham keeper to make it 0 – 1 to Mursley, a lead they very much deserved. Amersham looked to bounce back immediately, a close range effort was fantastically saved by Jay in goal, the rebound was again struck at goal and hit the bar, only to rebound again to an Amersham player and Jay with a quick reaction save helped it over the bar and halftime saw Mursley 0 – 1 to the good.

The second half saw Amersham come out firing and looking to quickly get themselves level but resolute defending all across the pitch kept them to long range efforts, Antonio Ncara picked up a yellow card chasing down a fullback and then came the flame to the touch paper to ignite the game, a robust tackle by Ncara was deemed too much by the referee, a 2nd yellow and Mursley were down to 10 with 30 minutes left to play. Amersham now sensed their chance, piled on the pressure but Mark Hunn and Jared Spink in midfield worked tirelessly to keep them at bay, they did fashion some chances at goal by Jay was a match for anything hit at his goal and with time ticking away Mursley looked to hit Amersham on the break and looked equally capable of doubling their lead. With tired legs the last 15 minutes was a barrage of Amersham pressure, soaked up by Mursley and then came a moment of brilliance, the ball was won by Hunn who played it wide to Eddie Bosoka, Eddie travelled up field, crossed it wide and Mark Hunn slid the ball in for young Rory, on as a sub to slot the ball home and make the win safe at 2 – 0 with minutes remaining.

Try as they may, Amersham couldn’t pull a goal back and Mursley ran out comfortable 2 – 0 winners.

Amersham are a talented side, full of pace and a great work ethic, to come away with a skinny squad and pick up three points, playing the last half hour with 10 men was made possible by a fantastic effort from the entire squad, last week I was very disappointed with the squad, this week I couldn’t be more proud said Manager Simon Jay after the game.

Man of the match went to Mark Hunn in midfield, a great display full of effort and commitment.

Mursley United Reserves hosted local rivals Old Bradwell United Reserves and were defeated 6-0 in windy and heavy conditions. The hosts struggled to get into the game and Butler put the visitors ahead after twenty minutes with a good finish following a sharp break forward. Gray and Cribb added further goals before the break.

In the second half, Cribb completed his brace on the hour, when he raced away down the right, cut back and slotted the ball past Tom Woodwards in the home goal. Two goals in two minutes, ten minutes from time, through substitute Coleman and Barry Rooney completed the scoring.

Saturday 28th November 2015

Mursley United travelled to Tring Corinthians and came away with a point from a 1-1 draw.

Tom Thornton scored Mursley’s goal.

Saturday 21st November 2015

Mursley United travelled to take on St Albans City Reserves and were unlucky to lose 1-0

With a twelve man squad, they stayed in the game until the seventy eighth minute, when substitute, Williams, broke the deadlock and secured all three points.

Mursley United Reserves made the short trip to ADL outfit, Quainton and ran out 3-1 victors

A game dominated by the wind found the hosts going ahead in the first half despite Mursley hitting the woodwork three times. In the second period and, with the wind at their backs, the visitors began to dominate midfield with Alex Kennard breaking up play and distributing the ball well and Andre Gambia popping up everywhere to give the home side plenty to think about. Mursley drew level following a deep floating free kick from Matt Heywood-Kenny which eluded everyone except Paul Hollingsworth, who stooped to nod home at the far post. They went ahead on sixty five minutes as Tom Kennard laid a ball back to Hollingsworth on the edge of the box and his shot crashed off the underside of the bar and bounced down over the line. The visitors rounded off the victory with Hollingsworth’s hat-trick as he rolled home a loose ball after Alex Wolfe had bravely challenged both keeper and defenders for a Kam Ettah cross.

Saturday 14th November 2015

Mursley United FC 3 v 2 Stony Stratford FC

Having had a run of playing teams from either the top third of our Division or teams from the division above in the cups, Saturday saw Mursley up against another tough opponent in Stony Stratford who were sitting in the top half of the table. On a blustery and wet afternoon, with a host of players unavailable and with late changes having to be made to the squad due to players pulling out it was looking like another tough afternoon was in store.

The game started off with both teams assessing each other, the pitch and the conditions, the blustery wind meant keeping the ball on the turf but the persistent rain made the pitch very sticky so this made for an interesting game. Mursley adapted to the conditions better and pressed frequently in to the Stony half, their high tempo play stopped Stony from getting in to their stride, however Stony looked very dangerous with their quick counter attacks being fed in to their Striker Chris Wreh who held the ball up well and looked to bring others in to play, but Sam Jay in goal was rarely tested. Mursley continued to press and look for the opening goal, Nathan Skelton had a couple of half chances and Eddie Bosoka and Antonio Ncara out on the flanks were giving the Stony fullbacks plenty to think about. It took until the 20th minute for the first goal to arrive, Skelton laid the ball back to Bosoka on the edge of the area, no defender looked to close him down so he cheekily bent the ball around a couple of players and off the post in to the net to make it 1 – 0 to Mursley. Sensing that they could be on for more goals Mursley pressed at every opportunity, Adam Moore, the team’s leading goal scorer, putting the team before himself and playing at centre back and having a great game, breaking up attacks and quickly getting the ball wide, one such play saw him feed Ncara out wide on the right flank, Ncara stepped inside two players and hit a bullet of a shot to make it 2 – 0 on 27 minutes and a third shortly followed, Skelton played in Danny Clarke, he skipped past a couple of defenders to put himself through on goal and calmly slotted past the keeper to make it 3 – 0 with 35 minutes gone. Looking to at least take that score in to half time, Mursley were shown how dangerous Stony can be, one missed tackle and they were through on goal and Jay was given no chance, the ball was slotted home and it was 3 – 1 going in to the break.

The second half saw Stony with the wind at their backs, a wind that over the half time break went from blustery to full blown gale and they used it to their advantage. The first goal in the second half was always going to be a crucial one and it was Stony who claimed it, a cross was carried on the wind, deceiving the Mursley defence and fell to an unmarked player at the back who slotted home to make it 3 – 2. Mursley were finding it harder and harder to clear their lines and also getting more and more jittery as the half wore on, Stony were unlucky not to equalise a shot come cross hit the post but fell in to Jay’s arms and a couple of free kicks in and around the box were fired over or in to the wall and Mursley held out to secure a vital 3 – 2 win.

The Mursley makeshift defence played out of the skins, Jason Lane was superb at left back, young Josh Illunga, from the U16’s, made his first team debut and had an excellent game and both Ronald Sekkade and Moore at centre backs were excellent.

Manager Simon Jay said ‘This was a hard won three points, Mursley were by far the better team in the first half and battled well in the second half against both the elements and the Stony onslaught, our defence was excellent and we were dangerous in attack, particularly in the 1st half so all in all a really pleasing win.’

Mursley United Reserves travelled to Totternhoe Reserves and were defeated 3-0

On a wet and windy day and, on a heavy pitch, Mursley, who had only a bare eleven, started brightly and looked to put Tom Kennard and Scott Redford away up front, but the poor conditions didn’t help flowing football. Mursley had the first chance when Redford was played in by Kennard, but his effort was well saved at close range by the home keeper. The hosts started to come into the game and it was two goals in three minutes just before half-time that put the visitors on the back foot. First, good close control near the by-line saw the ball received by a striker at the near post who squeezed the ball past Darren Hughes in the Mursley goal and then a quick break saw a shot from the edge of the box parried by Hughes only to watch the rebound being tucked away.

Mursley were tighter defensively in the second period, but couldn’t penetrate the Totternhoe defence and the game became scrappy. With ten minutes remaining, Mursley won a penalty, when Tom Woodwards was dragged back in the area, but Joel Oakley’s spot kick was well saved. Shortly afterwards, a Totternhoe break saw a cross into the middle which cannoned off Oakley and past Hughes for an own goal.

Saturday 7th April 2015

Mursley United played host to Clean Slate on Saturday and ran out 4-2 victors.

Mursley dominated the first twenty minutes, their best chance seeing a close range effort from Steve Mooney smothered by the keeper. After twenty minutes, a Sam Folland corner curled under the crossbar and bounced down on the goal line where Mitchell Young was on hand to poke it home. Mursley continued to apply the pressure and, after thirty five minutes, Luke Williamson doubled the advantage as he lashed a loose ball into the visitors’ net following a corner.

Two minutes into the second half, Young added his second and the home side’s third as his lob rebounded off a post and he followed up to net. The visitors came into the game after that and Pym converted from the spot after Folland tripped an opponent. He added a second shortly after and this set the game up for an exciting finish, Clean Slate had a couple of chances, but were unable to finish and Mursley also spurned a couple before substitute Lewis Wheeler was on hand to finish from close range.

Mursley United Reserves completed a 1-0 away win at high-flying Stony Stratford Town.

The hosts started well and the visitors were solid in defence as they absorbed pressure and started to get a foothold in the game. They scored a good goal through Elliott Sharp and held on to take all three points.

Saturday 24th March 2015

Mursley United entertained Aston Clinton on Saturday and were 2-0 winners.

After a poor first half, Mursley were dominant in trhe second period with goals from Mitchell Young and Taigon Brooks.

Mursley United Reserves travelled to Holmer Green and were defeated 5-2.

The visitors went a goal behind after five minutes, but were level after twenty minutes, when the home goalkeeper drove a clearnce against Mitchell Davidson and he was able to chase down the loose ball and control it before netting. After thirty five minutes, the home side took the lead again, when Mursley failed to clear from a corner, but levelled just before half-time, when Paul Hollingsworth was brought down in the penalty area and scored the penalty himself.

Mursley played some good football in the second period, but were unable to apply the finishing touches and, at the other end, Tom Woodwards ensured the scores renmained level, but three goals in the final fifteen minutes gave the hosts the points with a scoreline that flattered them.

Saturday 21st February 2015

Mursley United were pitted against Grendon Rangers in a robust and entertaining game on Saturday, culminating in a 1-1 draw.

Early on, Kevin Goodluck had to leave the field with a cut above his right eye and manager Mark Hardie, shuffled his team, dropping skipper Steve Mooney into the back four and introducing Paul Hollingsworth on the right of midfield.The visitors had the first chance, but Robin Tucker and Luke Purnell were on hand to scramble the ball away, just before it crossed the goal line. Tom Kennard headed over the bar from a right wing cross and, following good quick passing involving Sam Folland and Ricky Foster, Kennard slid his effort just past the far post as the keeper came to meet him.

Into the second half, Hollingsworth continued to trouble the Grendon defence and his cross from the right was headed just over the bar by Kennard. Then an inter-change between Hollingsworth and Kennard found the former chasing down a ball in the penalty area and appearing to make contact with the keeper. The referee pointed to the spot, but Kennard’s spot kick missed the target as the keeper went the wrong way. With ten minutes left, Grendon took the lead, as Mursley failed to clear from a corner and Leonard drove home through a forest of bodies from the edge of the box. Within two minutes, the hosts were level when Sam Folland’s in-swinging corner received the faintest of touches off Steve Mooney and drifted into the net. The visitors’ keeper was injured in that incident and had to be helped off the field, with goalscorer Leonard, taking over in goal. With little time remaining, Purnell made a point-blank save, which canoned off his body to safety, without him knowing much about it. Moments later, the final whistle went to ensure both sides shared the points.

Saturday 14th February 2015

Mursley United welcomed the division’s bottom side, Willen, to the Playing Field and won 3-0

Luke Purnell returned in goal, Ricky Foster returned after a month’s absence and Taigon Brooks made his second start of the season for Mursley and they started brightly enough although the visitors fashioned the first chance. After a quarter of an hour, a Sam Folland free-kick from near the corner flag was headed solidly home by Tom Kennard at the near post and this seemed to settle Mursley who went on to dominate possession on a heavy pitch. They doubled their lead before the half hour when the goalkeeper fumbled a cross from the right and Steve Mooney was on hand to stab the ball over the line.

For the first ten minutes of the second half, Willen took the game to their hosts and created a few chances, but were only able to get one on target, an effort which Purnell gathered comfortably. Around the hour mark, Mursley added their third when Willen failed to clear a ball and Brooks was on hand to slide a neat pass from Kennard beyond the keeper and into the net. Purnell made a very good save at full stretch after Mursley had given the ball away in their half and Kennard rose to nod home a cross from the left only to have it ruled out for an earlier push on the keeper.

Saturday 7th February 2015

Mursley United entertained runaway league leaders Hale Leys United and were narrowly defeated 3-2 in a lively and often robust game.

The visitors, who have only dropped two points all season, went ahead after two minutes as Garbutt’s glancing header eluded stand-in keeper Tom Sloan and defenders on the line to end up in the net. Shortly after this, Kevin Goodluck had to leave the field with blood running from his nose following an accidental blow and he was off the field for some ten minutes. Shortly after he returned, Robin Tucker powerfully headed home a James Wardell corner to level the scores. Sloan made an excellent double save from Brindley and Mursley soaked up a lot of pressure whilst looking to get forward via Wardell and Lewis Wheeler on the flanks. However, it was Hale Leys who took the lead again five minutes before the break as Coles burst through, flicked the ball past the oncoming Sloan and chased the ball to divert it into the goal before clashing painfully with the upright. He was withdrawn after that, but not before Tom Robinson had equalised for the home side as he stabbed home a loose ball following a corner off the underside of the bar.

Into the second period and Tom Kennard broke away to push the ball past Jenkins in the visitors’ goal, but the ball rolled agonisingly wide of the far post. With twenty minutes remaining, Graham ran across the penalty area from the left and was clipped by Charlie Attwell. The referee awarded a penalty which Brindley despatched to give Hale Leys the lead and they hung on to secure another victory on their way to what certainly looks like the league title.

Saturday 24th January 2015

Mursley United Reserves entertained Penn and Tylers Green Reserves in the fifth round of the Berks and Bucks Junior Cup and were defeated 4-3 in a hard-fought cup tie.

Mursley opened the scoring within three minutes through T..Robinson, but the visitors slowly began to take a hold in the game and Tow Woodwards in the Mursley goal was called on to make two good saves, the second after Walsh got in on the left and shot across goal. Within a minute, the same player had taken off on a run and from a similar position struck a shot that eluded Woodwards this time and finished in the net. Penn and Tylers continued to look dangerous and, minutes before the break, Walsh rose unmarked to head home from a corner.

Within two minutes of the re-start, the visitors increased their lead as Weller poked home the loose ball after Mursley failed to clear from a corner. Although the hosts played some good football, they were unable to break down a solid Penn and Tylers defence and with twenty minutes remaining, Pearce added the visitors’ fourth goal.

Mursley refused to lie down and, from a free-kick, Tom Kennard hit the bar and, then with ten minutes left, Kennard’s glancing header from Jonny Crook’s free-kick struck the underside of the bar and bounced down over the line. With a minute remaining, Crook burst away and tucked a left-footed effort into the corner of the net, but, there was not enough time to find the equaliser to take the tie into extra time.

Saturday 10th January 2015

Mursley United made the short hop to Old Bradwell United and won 3-2.

This was a strong display from a make-shift Mursley side, who benefited from the postponement of their Reserve team game at home, to draft in Tom Kennard, Ed Wheatley and Jonny Crook, who all came into the starting line-up and performed well in their respective positions. A lively game ensued and the hosts finally broke the deadlock just before half-time through Adam Rooney. However, the visitors second half display secured the points. Tom Kennard hit a screaming effort, netting from twenty five yards and went ahead as James Wardell converted a Mitchell Young cross. Old Bradwell equalised through Adam’s brother, Barry Rooney, but Mursley persisted and from substitute Adam Castagnetti’s corner, Alex Collard rose highest to head home in the dying seconds. Head coach, Kit Bamber was delighted with the result stating that “hard work wins games!”.

Saturday 3rd January 2015

With the first team’s game at Brimsdown postponed due to waterlogging, Mursley United Reserves took on nearby Great Horwood Reserves in the Berks and Bucks Junior Cup and were 4-1 victors. The goals came from Collard, Kennard, Provoncha and Joel Oakley. They now move into the round of the last sixteen where they have a home tie against either Penn and Tylers Green or Burnham Beeches on 24th January.

Saturday 27th December 2014

Mursley United visited Ampthill to take on Clean Slate FC and were 5-2 victors.

New signing Teagon Brooks came in to partner Mitchell Young up front and Mursley started slowly, going a goal behind after four minutes as a strike from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection and beat Luke Purnell in the visitors’ goal. Within ten minutes, Mursley were level when Young turned his defender and his cross was neatly volleyed home by Brooks. Mursley were dominant for a ten minute spell in which they went ahead, through Sam Folland, who stroked home Charlie Attwell’s cross from twelve yards. The hosts equalised when a shot across the face of goal was pushed out to Qasimi, who netted from close range. Brooks hit the post and then Clean Slate had the ball in the net, but it was ruled out for a push on Gary Hutchinson. The teams went in level at half-time, but it was the visitors who started the second half more positively and won a free-kick which was blazed over by Rolland. Mursley won a penalty for hand-ball from a Ricky Foster cross, but Young ’s effort went wide. Undetered, Mursley continued to press and Folland hit the bar before Attwell’s cross was met by Brooks who headed neatly past Thornton in the home goal. The visitors continued to dominate possession, but only added their fourth with five minutes to go as substitute Dean Oakley headed against the bar from a Foster corner and Alex Collard was first to react and nod the ball in. Late on, Oakley broke on the left and his pinpoint cross found Young unmarked and his powerful header was good enough to beat Thornton.

Saturday 20th December 2014

An improving Mursley United made further changes for their 2-2 draw with Totternhoe at home on Saturday. Kevin Goodluck returned to defence as did Alex Collard and Charlie Attwell pushed further forward. Tom Sloan fired the hosts into the lead after Sam Folland picked up the ball, following a defensive error, and his pin-point pass found Sloan who finished brilliantly. Mursley were able to maintain this lead into the break. In the second period, the home side took the game to the visitors, pressing them and controlling long spells of play, but it was the visitors who scored two goals in quick succession to lead with a quarter of an hour remaining. It was then that Mursley found the goal to share the points; a Ricky Foster corner saw Collard rise above the defence to power his header home.

Saturday 13th December 2014

Mursley United entertained Kent Athletic and were defeated 4-3.

The hosts, missing five key players, were matched by a competitive Kent’s side, but went ahead after twenty minutes when a poor clearance fell directly to Michael Read, whose delicate chip cleared the back-pedalling Gudgin in the visitors’ goal and dropped into the net. Kent’s stepped up a gear and were level just before half-time when a through ball saw Henry chasing the ball, nicking it past Luke Purnell in the Mursley goal and guiding the ball into the empty net. Then, in injury time at the end of the half, Mapp’s free-kick from twenty five yards flew into the top corner.

Both sides played some good football in the second half and it was Mursley who scored next as Read’s cross found James Wardell unmarked to head home from ten yards. The visitors went back into the lead almost immediately as a defensive mix-up left Ricahrds with a chance to score and he made no mistake. With ten minutes remaining, Richards’ cross from the right found its way to Henry who rifled home his second. Mursley threw everything forward: Gudgin saved well at the feet of substitute Lewis Wheeler and, in the dying moments, Read’s cross eluded Wardell, but found Kam Ettah at the far post who netted neatly.

Saturday 29th November 2014

Mursley United lost away to 61FC 1-0 on Saturday. The hosts’ goal was scored by Currington early in the second half

In-form Mursley Reserves welcomed a Crawley Green side who had the only unbeaten record in the league in this highly anticipated encounter. Mursley’s side was depleted with injuries and call ups to the first team and they weren’t able to name any fit players on the bench with central defender Adam Garratt playing in goal. However, those who started, including the welcome returns of Ed Wheatley and Darren Hughes, were impressive in a cracking 2-2 draw.

Mursley started fast and great work from Reidoon the right saw the ball squared for Hollingsworth who placed the ball high past the onrushing keeper to give Mursley a surprise lead. Then five minutes later great running from Toby Edwards saw him get in behind the Crawley Green back four before being caught by the keeper. Kennard made no mistake from the spot to make it 2-0.

Mursley were good value for their lead as they went into the break. The second half, as expected, saw Crawley Green throw everything at Mursley and they grabbed a crucial goal with around twenty minutes to go. Mursley did all they could to hold on but not being able to make any changes, whilst the visitors brought on three fresh pairs of legs, was crucial. Finally with around ten minutes left, the visitors equalised.

But testament to the resilience of this Mursley team that, despite that and Crawley going for the victory, it was actually Mursley who could have grabbed the winner. In injury team the ball fell to Hollingworth but his shot from the edge of the box was well saved.

The 2-2 draw moves Mursley up into seventh place and takes their unbeaten run to six games with them going into next week’s game against Tottenhoe with plenty of confidence.

Tuesday 25th November 2014

Mursley Reserves made the long trip to Amersham on Tuesday night looking to build on a 4 game unbeaten run that had seen them progress in the county cup and push up the league and into mid-table. Dan Whitmarsh made his second start of the season and James Wardell come in from the 1st team in the only changes from the weekend’s derby victory of Winslow. Amersham handed starts to five new signings.

The opening ten minutes was even with both teams having chances, Amersham hitting the post and Mursley missing a great chance when Wardell opted to square the ball rather than shoot himself when in a good position. Eventually though Mursley settled and started opening Amersham up at will. The breakthrough finally came around 20 minutes in when the lively Whitmarsh played the ball through for Paul Hollingsworth who calmly slotted past the keeper. Mursley then doubled their lead when a terrific cross from the left from Wardell was helped in by Tom Kennard. Kennard then made it 3 from the spot after being fouled when one-on-one with the keeper, who was lucky to still remain on the pitch. Mursley then grabbed a 4th before half-time when the ball fell to Wardell in the 18 yard box and he made no mistake drilling the ball low past the keeper.

The second half Amersham came back into the game, but very rarely troubled the Mursley defence and it was the vistors who perhaps should have made the scoreline even more impressive, Hollingsworth hitting the bar and Michael Reid shooting straight at the keeper after good work. It finished 4-0 with a second clean sheet in a row after another very impressive display.

Saturday 15th November 2014

With no first team game, Mursley United Reserves took centre-stage and won a hard-fought 3-2 victory over The 61 FC.

The hosts started brightly and took the game to their visitors, who looked shaky at the back, but Mursley were unable to capitalise. Their best chance came when Tom Kennard found himself free on the penalty spot, but his shot deflected off the keeper’s shoulder and away to safety. 61 FC went ahead on the half hour, when a back pass from Adam Garratt didn’t reach Tom Woodwards in the home goal and the centre forward nipped in tho steal the ball and walk it into the net.

Early in the second half, Mursley drew level when Kennard was brought down in the penalty area and he stepped up himself to send the keeper the wrong way. The home side continued to press, but were unable to break down a now, more solid, vistors’ defence. However, with twenty five minutes remaining, substitute Kam Ettah’s speculative cross dipped over the keeper and nestled in the far corner. This lead lasted until two minutes from time when the visitors managed to work an opening and slide the ball past Woodwards. However, in the final minute, Ettah got free down the right and he rifled his shot into the far corner.

Saturday 8th November 2014

Mursley United and Grendon Rangers were involved in a classic cup tie at Grendon Park on Saturday with an entertaining 8 goal thriller in the South Midlands League Challenge Trophy.

Mursley welcomed recent signing Lea Coulter for his first cup game and new signing Jack Ash came into the squad and Mursley boasted a stronger bench that previous weeks with Ash, Wardell, Kissane and Lane. Perna started the scoring for Grendon with Mitchell Young equalizing 2 minutes later, then Young hit another on 42 minutes with a well drilled shot into the bottom corner. Grendon then went on the attack and Andy Prescott broke through the Mursley defence and finished past Purnell in the visitors’ goal, but within a minute of the restart Ben Brill smashed home Mursley’s third. Then the referee, gave Mitchell Young a straight red for an incident which remained a mystery to players and spectators alike. Mursley were down to 10 men, but with Wardell and Kissane coming on,it was they who looked the more likely team to score and they duly did as Lea Coulter got behind the Grendon defence and cut the ball back for 17 year old Charlie Attwell to get his well-deserved first goal. Grendon were not finished and Nathan Perna got on the score sheet from a free kick on 55 minutes. Ash then came on for Mursley to make his debut and showed glimpses of what he is capable of, and it was the class of Coulter that wrapped up the game with and excellent shot into the bottom corner on 65 minutes to make it 5 for Mursley.

Mursley Reserves were well beaten in their Reserve Challenge Trophy tie at home to Cockfosters 7-2. The hosts goals came from Michael Read and Tom Kennard.

Saturday 1st November 2014

Mursley United visited Aston Clinton and drew 1-1.

The visitors, without Adam Kissane, Adam Castagnetti and James Wardell, gave a debut to new signing, Lea Coulter, up front and started at a good pace, passing the ball around and trying to break down a solid home defence. Just after the half hour, they went ahead when Robin Tucker’s guided header from eight yards, eluded Roberts in the Aston Clinton goal and lodged in the back of the net. Coulter then came close as he shot marginally wide from a tight angle, then, a minute later, rounded Roberts to have his effort scrambled away for a corner by a last-ditch intervention. Mursley continued at this high intensity with Ben Brill and Charlie Attwell looking threatening on the flanks and Steve Mooney and Sam Folland controlling midfield.

Into the second period, it was a similar story for the visitors, but a quick ball out of defence on the hour saw Young in the clear and his shot passed the advancing Luke Purnell and went in off the post. Mursley still dominated and manager Mark Hardie rang the changes, introducing Kam Ettah, Mitchell Davidson and Lewis Wheeler, but Mursley couldn’t force a winner. They also survived a scare late on as Stapleton broke away, but his shot went across goal and past the far post. The final whistle came with the points shared.

Mursley United Reserves entertained top of the league Stony Stratford in a really lively derby encounter and were very unlucky not to take all three points. Captain Adam Garratt & Jack Morris returned to the defence with Ed Wheatley making his home debut in his second spell at the club. Jamie Parker who had left Mursley earlier in the season made an appearance on a very strong looking bench.

Stony, buoyed by being top of the league had the better of the opening exchanges with Mursley still integrating new players taking time to settle. Both teams looked dangerous on the break with Toby Edwards getting in behind the Stony defence a few times and, equally, the visiting forwards causing Mursley trouble with runs in behind their defence. For the home side Jonny Crook and Garratt both had attempts cleared off the line.

It was from one of the many balls over the top that Stony took the lead, the Mursley defence being turned and the energetic Stony forward finishing well. Mursley,though, have become a much stronger team mentally than previous weeks and immediately got themselves back into the game. Joel Oakley playing the ball down the right side to Paul Hollingsworth who squared to Michael Read who then played a neat cross to Tom Kennard who acrobatically volleyed beyond the Stony keeper to make the score 1-1 with a well worked equaliser.

Second half was pretty much all Mursley, but like the first, they just couldn’t finish. Hollingsworth, Kennard, Read and Parker all guilty of missing good chances. Parker a second half introduction for Edwards had the opportunity to net the winner from the penalty spot after Hollingsworth was barged over in the box. The keeper produced a fantastic save as, agonisingly, the ball rebounded off the inside of the post and across the goal before being cleared to safety.

There was still time for more chances, Read hitting the post, Garratt heading wide and Hollingsworth shooting over, with Stony themselves having a couple of gilt edge chances on the break, Tom Woodwards in the Mursley goal making two exceptional one-on-one saves. Mursley really pushed for that winner and Kennard nearly got on the end of a free-kick to snatch it, but it ended 1-1.

Joint Managers, Chris Pittam and Paul Hollingsworth expressed it to be "a very spirited performance from Mursley, who are clearly now going in the right direction".

Saturday 25th October 2014

Mursley United were defeated 3-0 at home to Pitstone and Ivinghoe. The visitors scored through Armstrong and Denton with a brace.

Mursley United Reserves visited Pitstone and Ivinghoe Reserves and were defeated by the odd goal in seven. Mursley’s scorers were Edwards, Kennard and Read.

Saturday 18th October 2014

Mursley United made the journey to Grendon Rangers and were defeated 2-0

With a strong cross-wind, this had an influence on the early exchanges and Mursley had the first chance as Mitchell Young headed wide from an Adam Castagnetti corner. However, it was the hosts that went ahead just after the quarter hour; Luke Purnell clearance from a through ball was kept in play and laid to Perna who let fly from forty yards. The ball caught on the wind and drifted over Purnell’s head and into the net as he back-pedalled. Five minutes later, Perna added his second as he eluded the Mursley defence, bore down on goal and slipped the ball past Purnell from fifteen yards. Mursley rallied and keeper Skilling clawed away a deflected shot from Young and skipper Kevin Goodluck was unable to convert from ten yards.

Early in the second half, James Wardell was unable to score from close range and the visitors had a Castagnetti shot turned away by Skilling and Tom Sloan’s header glanced the bar and bounced away to safety. THe longer the game went on with Mursley searching for goals and Grendon were able to counter-attack. Purnell made one good save and, late on, Castagnetti was sent off for a second bookable offence. Shortly after, the referee blew the final whistle and Grendon had secured the points.

Mursley Reserves welcomed Pitstone & Ivinghoe Reserves to Station Road on Saturday for a Berks & Bucks Junior Cup, 2nd Round clash.

There were 5 changes from the narrow defeat at Wolverton with Adam Garratt, Ryan Kelsey, Alex Wolfe, Michael Read & Chris Pittam all coming into the starting XI. Mursley started brightly and created a few early chances without capitalising. They were nearly caught out when Pitstone broke on them sharply after a Mursley corner but the Pitstone forward couldn’t finish. Read started to pick out striker, Kennard with some excellent, penetrating balls over the top of the Pitstone defence and Kennard was inches away from putting Mursley 1-0 up after he lobbed the on-rushing ‘keeper but just eluded the goal.

The first goal arrived around the 20 minute mark after some intricate play down the left between, Ryan Kelsey, Jonny Crook, Paul Hollingsworth & Michael Read. They worked the ball into Kennard and he finished well with his left foot, from the edge of the box. Shortly after this, Mursley were dealt a blow as Pittam was forced off with an injury to be replaced by Joel Oakley. This forced a defensive reshuffle with Aaron Kelsey moving back into defence. The defence remained strong however, marshalled brilliantly by captain, Adam Garratt.

Mursley grabbed a 2nd after 35 minutes when Reid crossed for Hollingsworth who finished from close range at the 2nd attempt. 2-0. Just before the half, Pitstone grabbed a freak goal as the wind held up a high, hopeful free kick which hit the bar of Woodwards’ goal as he back peddled and the rebound was headed in to the net by a Pitstone player following up. 2-1 the half time score.

With the game delicately poised, the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was going to be key. Pitstone pushed Mursley back and the defence had to withstand some pressure but stood up to the task well. Wolfe, Garratt, Morris & Aaron Kelsey didn’t let much get passed them, but on the couple of occasions they did, Woodwards kept Pitstone at bay, including turning the ball over the bar from an effort destined for the top corner. After weathering the storm, Mursley were looking dangerous once again, particularly through Read down the right-hand side and it was he who released Kennard who finished confidently when through on the ‘keeper. That ensured Mursley’s passage through the the last 64 where they will entertain local rivals Winslow Utd Reserves in the next round.

Saturday 11th October 2014

Mursley United entertained local rivals Winslow United in the Second Round of the Berks and Bucks Intermediate Cup and were defeated 3-0 by the side from the division above them in the Spartan South Midlands League.

The visitors started very brightly and looked dangerous on the attack with skipper Castello and winger Graham threatening the Mursley defence. On twelve minutes, the visitors went ahead as, having cleared the ball, it was delivered back into the Mursley area, where Castello found himself onside and, with just keeper Luke Purnell to beat, he tucked the ball away from around ten yards.

Winslow continued to look dangerous, but Mursley were able to resist the pressure until half-time, including a perfectly timed tackle by Charlie Attwell to save a goal-scoring opportunity as the hosts were left three against one at the back. Mursley created chances of their own, with keeper Weymes making a good save from a Catagnetti effort and turning away a diving header from Kevin Goodluck at point-blank range.

Early in the second half, an unmarked Wiltshire popped up to score from six yards following a corner to extend Winslow’s lead and, ten minutes later, Graham brought down a cross from the right, turned and drove a shot beyond Purnell for the visitor’s third.

Mursley rallied when James Griffiths came on at right back and Atwell was pushed further forward, creating a number of problems for the Winslow side down the Mursley right, but they were unable to create chances and the visitors held firm to progress to the third round.

Mursley Reserves made the short trip to Milton Keynes to face Wolverton in a local derby and came away defeated by 1-0. This was after a fantastic 4-1 away derby victory over Winslow in mid-week, with all four goals coming from Tom Kennard. There were 4 changes to the side including all 3 central midfielders, which meant a change in formation as Mursley went back to 4-4-2.

Both teams were dangerous on the break with Mursley getting in behind a couple of times but failing to get an attempt at goal. Mursley then went the close with a well struck Crook free-kick saved low by the Wolverton keeper and Hollingsworth’s cross on the rebound being pushed onto the post by the keeper. Tom Woodwards also continued to excel in the Mursley goal with a good save with his feet on a Wolverton break. 0-0 at half time.

Mursley changed after the break, moving to 4-5-1/4-3-3 which was the formation that had seen them win their only two games of the season. It meant they were more solid with Wolverton also playing three in the middle and an even game saw chances at both ends with Wovlerton and Mursley both hitting the bar. Tom Kennard then saw a header from the penalty area rebound off the post and back into the keeper’s arms and a Hollingsworth left foot effort also rebounded off the post.

It was a physical game at times and this saw Wolverton go down to 10 men with ten minutes to go. Mursley looked for the winner, but were finding it difficult to break the opposition down. Then, with a minute to go, Wolverton won a free-kick on the touchline and from this,kick a free header saw them go 1-0 up. Mursley attacked from the re-start and a half chance for Kennard whistled over the bar as Wolverton held on for a 1-0 win.

Saturday 4th October 2014

Mursley went to Tring looking for back to back wins in the league, they welcomed back Steve Mooney & Adam Castagnetti to the squad (both starting on the bench) but were missing Ben Brill.

Mursley dominated the first half with 80% of possession, with good chances landing to James Wardell, Charlie Attwell and Mitchell Young, but could not convert those chances into goals.

The second half Mursley made hard work of it, it was a more even affair but both teams didn’t really create enough chances to sneak the all important goal. On 68 minutes and a slight change of formation by management team of Mark Hardie and Kit Bamber bringing on Castagnetti as a second striker, and within 2 minutes it was he that got Mursley the break when slotting coolly past the keeper to make it 0-1.

This goal started Mursley into gear and within 10 minutes, it was Castagnetti again finding the back of the net after good work from Wardell down the right flank. With 5 minutes to go, Castagnetti could have had a hat-trick, but could not convert his chance, and Mursley went on to win the game.

Mursley Reserves entertained Holmer Green on a cold and wet Saturday afternoon and the weather unfortunately reflected the Mursley performance. There were moments of brilliance, particularly from Michael Read who scored an absolutely brilliant goal but continual enforced changes, particularly at the back has meant although Mursley were 4th top scorers in the league, they’d conceded the most.

The visitors were well drilled and had some decent individuals. With 7 players out the Mursley squad was tested and were unable to match their opponents It could have been different, 2-0 down at half-time Mursley had the better of the last 20 minutes and the opening 10 of the second half, resulting in Read’s 30 yard strike that hit the underside of the bar and dropped behind the line. At 2-1 though and just as Mursley were right back in it, they capitulated at the back with two defensive errors, so in the space of a few minutes they were 4-1 down. From there pushing to get back into the game just resulted in further goals and the game finished 7-1.

Saturday 27th September 2014

Mursley United picked up their first league win of the season as they visited Wolverton Town and came away 4-2 winners.

On a warm afternoon, Mursley started the brighter of the two sides and went ahead after eight minutes when a cross from the left from Adam Kissane drifted beyond Draper in the Wolverton goal and into the net. Mursley continued at a good tempo and went further ahead just before the half-hour as a flowing move involving Kissane, Mitchell Young and Sam Folland left Ben Brill one-on-one with Draper and he made no mistake from ten yards. Kissane continued to pull the strings in midfield and Mursley remained comfortable up to the half-time whistle.

The heat started to affect the pace of the game in the second period, but nine minutes in, Mitchell Young was able to get on to a pass from James Wardell and fire home from the edge of the box. The hosts changed their formation, but were still unable to penetrate the visitors’ defence and with seventeen minutes left, Young was on hand to poke Mursley’s fourth home after Wolverton failed to clear a corner.

Into the final two minutes, Baines scored what appeared to be a consolation for the hosts and a minute later, Stimpson added a second as Mursley struggled in the heat, but Mark Hardie’s men held on to secure the points and, afterwards, the manager expressed his satisfaction that his team had put in such a dominant performance for the majority of the game.

A depleted Mursley Reserves squad hosted an unbeaten Buckingham Athletic side on Saturday.  With 8 players unavailable, including joint player/manager Hollingsworth, Chris Pittam was forced into ringing the changes.  There were first starts for Jack Morris, Dan Bryant and Tyler Sullivan.

Buckingham started the brightest causing problems from a string of corners.  Mursley survived the spell of pressure and very nearly took the lead after a great run and shot from Tony Hill but the keeper made a good save.  

The first goal arrived shortly before half time as Mursley tired in the September heat.  Buckingham’s left winger had been threatening the Mursley back line and got in behind the defence to fire the ball across the six yard box.  The ball ended up in the net after a ricochet off  Pittam.

Buckingham then doubled their lead 2 minutes later as Mursley were overrun once again.  Tom Woodwards did well to keep the first effort out but the rebound fell to the feet of the Buckingham striker who converted.

Mursley got back into the game shortly after the break when Chris Brodrick fed captain for the day, Joel Oakley who turned and hit a tremendous dipping, left foot volley over the stranded keeper.

Frustratingly, Mursley gifted Buckingham a 3rd goal shortly after getting back into the game by not playing to the referees whistle and the left winger finished smartly from an acute angle.

It was now an entertaining, end to end affair with both keepers making good saves, particularly Mursley’s Woodwards. New Mursley signing Michael Read was impressing in the midfield, causing real headaches for the Buckingham defence. 

Mursley would not give in and forced a corner which Joel Oakley whipped in and Pittam met with a stooping header.  2-3.

A tiring Mursley side threw everything the could at Buckingham in the dying moments but were caught out right at the death to go down 2-4.

Saturday 20th September 2014

Mursley United went out of the Spartan South Midlands Division 2 Cup 6-5 on penalties by Wolverton Town following a 2-2 draw after extra time.

With both Ben Brill and Mitchell Young having to pull out through injury before kick-off and with James Wardell named as the only substitute because he was going to be late arriving, Mursley started well, but were matched by their local rivals who went ahead before half time through Baines.

In the second half, with Adam Kissane and Adam Castagnetti pulling the strings, Mursley dominated and Castagnetti equalised for the hosts. Jason Lane put Mursley ahead, but with ten minutes left, Baines completed his brace to bring the scores level. Into extra time, both sides strove for a winner, but couldn’t break the deadlock. Into the penalty shoot-out,the visitors ran out victors, 6-5.

Mursley United Reserves travelled to AFC Dunstable to play their first ever competitive fixture on a 3G pitch. They were up against a young, talented side who had a 100% record and are early favourites to win the league, which isn’t a surprise given their facilities & set-up.

Debuts were given to goalkeeper Tom Woodward and midfielder Michael Read with Dave Holloway returning to captain the side in a 4-4-1-1. Mursley started well and limited Dunstable to half chances, whilst looking dangerous on the break. However mid-way through the half a mistake in the middle allowed a Dunstable player to nip in and take the ball and then from 30 yards rifle a strike into the top corner. Mursley plugged away and defended well despite not having a lot of the ball and had a couple of opportunities themselves, with Holloway striking over from distance. Then another mistake at the back in not clearing the ball was punished as Dunstable sneaked a shot passed Woodward in goal, who had made a really solid start.

A free-kick on the edge to Dunstable near the end of the half was blocked, but fell to the Dunstable left back who hit another absolute screamer on the left foot from 25 yards. An unstoppable strike. 3-0 at half-time. Mursley made a change with Dave Holloway coming off and Tony Hill replacing him with Mursley going 4-4-2 and pushing on. Mursley were transformed, they were first to balls they were previously second at and started creating lots of chances, with Tom Kennard excellent all game causing so many problems.

Dunstable were still dangerous on the break and a cross from the right to the back post was headed across and over Woodward to make it 4-0. Tom in goal then went down with an injury and was replaced by Adam Garratt and Paul Hollingsworth moved from the wing to left back and Ryan Kelsey pushed further forward. Despite the score Mursley did not buckle and Kennard scored from the spot after being brought down by the keeper. Hill then added a second as first Kennard and then Kelsey had shots saved, Mursley were staging a cracking fight-back. Another penalty appeal was turned down and unfortunately they ran out of time finishing 4-2, but another creditable and spirited performance.

Saturday 13th September 2014

Mursley United eventually sailed into the second round of the Berks and Bucks Intermediate Cup defeating Comet MK 5-0, but not before the North Buck’s side had made it tough for them. Robin Tucker’s injury ruled him out and James Griffiths came in and Ben Brill returned after a month on the sidelines to replace Sam Folland. Unfortunately Griffiths had to withdraw after twenty minutes to be replaced by Adam Castagnetti having sustained a cut near his eye. In that time, Mursley had been unable to break down the resolute Comet defence and, although dominating possession, the hosts were unable to break the deadlock. The closest they came was late in the first half, when a clearance skewed off a defender’s boot and canoned back off the bar.

Into the second half, Mursley continued to press with Castagnetti trying to unlock the visitors’ defence and the two full backs, Charlie Attwell and Kevin Goodluck getting forward. The hosts opened the scoring with fifteen minutes remaining; as Comet’s defence began to struggle under the constant pressure, Mitchell Young got beyond them to slide the ball into the net.Five minutes later, he added his second, a tap-in from a cross by substitute, Lewis Wheeler. With seven minutes left, Young returned the favour, leaving Wheeler to score from close range. Wheeler got his second shortly after, when he met Goodluck’s deep cross on the volley and it looped neatly over the keeper from twelve yards. Finally, in injury time, James Wardell twisted and turned in the penalty area and his shot rebounded off the post into Young’s path and he netted to complete his hat-trick.

Saturday 6th September 2014

Mursley United travelled to Luton to take on Kent Athletic and were beaten 4-0.

New signings Mitchell Young, Tom Sloan and Anthony Kostin came into the squad, but Kent looked lively from the outset and looked to stretch the visitors down both flanks. This approach paid off after thirteen minutes when a good run by Richards on the right fed Edwards who slid the ball past Adam Garratt. Edwards then added his second from twenty yards as his left footed effort eluded Garratt and nestled in the corner of the net. Mursley were unable to break down the Kent’s defence and they created more chances, adding their third around ten minutes before the break as a long diagonal ball found Richards, who drove into the box and drove his shot beyond Garratt and into the net. Sam Folland limped off at half-time and was replaced by Gary Hutchinson whose presence in the centre of midfield pushed skipper Steve Mooney up front to partner Young. Mursley were more competitive and restricted the hosts to counter attacking, although they were still dangerous on the break and Kevin Goodluck, Robin Tucker and Charlie Attwell, all snuffed out attacks. Adam Garratt made a good save from Magill before Tucker was forced to limp off leaving Mursley with ten men for the final ten minutes, having used all their substitutes. A through ball from James Wardell saw Young flick the ball past the home keeper, but he was unable to reach the ball before it was cleared. In the last minute, Magill added Kent’s fourth.

This Saturday (13th September 2014), Mursley entertain Comet MK in the first round of the Berks and Bucks Intermediate Cup, kick-off 2.30 pm.

Mursley United Reserves entertained a Risborough side looking for their first win of the season with Mursley looking to build on the previous weeks win. There were 4 changes with joint manager Chris Pittam coming into the back 4, Jonny Crook & Adam Caesar returning to the midfield and Lewis Wheeler coming in from the 1st team. Tony ‘Titch’ Hill also made a return on the bench.

Without a pre-season behind them Mursley were always going to find the opening few fixtures tough, particularly coming up against a very organised and fit Risborough team. Risborough started the more energetic, using their full backs to play diagonal balls over the top turning the back line. Mursley coped well though and were coming more and more into the game. Then a Mursley goal kick dropped short in the middle and Risborough reacted the quickest winning the first ball and setting up their striker who instinctively hit it on the turn 25 yards out, looping over Ben Donaldson in the Mursley goal. Another diagonal ball over the top caused Mursley more problems and when a cross came in from the right across the face of the goal a Risborough player was left with a tap-in after an initial excellent sliding block from Pittam. Mursley were struggling to deal with the energy in the middle and getting players to support striker Tom Kennard so at half-time they made a change, pushing Wheeler behind Kennard and becoming narrower in the middle. This worked with Mursley having the better of the second half. They started to create more openings but where then hit on the break from the left, where after the cross wasn’t cleared properly and a deflected shot put Risborough 0-3 up. A change with Wheeler being replaced by Hill made a difference, with he and Kennard working well together up top. Kennard did well to win a free-kick and then dispatched it into the bottom corner to make the score a bit more respectable.